Saturday, April 11, 2020

The Yankees: Damned If They Do, Damned If They Don't

Sad Yankees | Sad Yankees :(

I love arguing baseball because you argue with actual fans. For whatever reason, baseball isn't one of the sports where people feel the need to pretend to like. If you start a baseball argument with a casual baseball follower, they'll straight up tell you, "Yeah ya know I really don't give a shit about baseball". But if you pick an MLB fight and that person bites? You got a real fan, hook, line and sinker. My two closest friends are Mets and Sox fans. Our arguments are nasty, they get personal. After signing Gerrit Cole, all eyes were on the Yankees. Now it doesn't matter what they do, because my arguments are fucked for at least a year. 

This year Mets and Red Sox fans were already preemptively loading arguments against the Yankees before the season even started. Before this pandemic my Red Sox buddy told me, "Yeah it's stupid because the Yankees SHOULD win the World Series. Honestly, if they don't it's just embarrassing". Took a page right out of Skip's book. With that shitty thinking he wins either way. Fuck him though, banners fly forever. That was my line of thinking until Manfred dropped the hammer on this season. 

Let's hypothetically say the MLB plays an 80 game season, and the Yankees win the World Series. Can we even enjoy it? I would get so sick of the word asterisk, that I would rip the word out of every dictionary I ever came across. In the eyes of those disgusted by the Yankees, it would be the perfect World Series for them to win. The 27.5 rings jokes would be nauseating. Omg I'm just burying myself at this point, 27.5 would be a genius rallying call. 

So what do we hope for? The MLB cancels the season? That's just selfish, I still need baseball. Plus that doesn't bode well for the team. That's a wasted year of prime for Judge, Gleyber, and Sanchez under their rookie salaries. Imagine paying Cole and Stanton all that money this year to not even lace up? I need to stop before I puke. 

Who knows the solution? Whatever, solutions are things of the past. If the Yankees win the Series I'll just have to shove it down people's throats. It's all I know. If people are going to be obnoxious about a World Series win, Yankee fans will just have to out-obnoxious them. We can do that, who's more obnoxious than us?


No comments:

Post a Comment