Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Former Alabama QBs Are In An All Out Twitter War


It all started with a harmless picture posted on Twitter from @ClintRLamb of former Alabama quarterbacks: Cooper Bateman, David Cornwell, and Blake Barnett. The caption read “This feels like ages ago.” It was the 2015 team. At the time those three quarterbacks were some of the highest QBs Alabama ever recruited. Of course, Jake Coker, a 3 star recruit, would come in to eat all their lunches and lead the Tide to their sixteenth National Title. A nice trip down memory lane, right? Not so fast. 

Cornwell responded to a since deleted Tweet about Blake Barnett saying, “I was in the QB room, he really didn’t have much talent. Any other questions about the 2014-2016 seasons?” I’m going to be honest, I don’t know what the tweet said that he was responding to. But judging by Blake’s response, it was clearly about him. 

Since pictures hate uploading I’ll present the back and forth Twitter spat that followed between Blake Barnett and David Cornwall in script form:

Blake Barnett: “From breaking into my dorm room and trashing my room (multiple times) to trashing me on social media. Glad to see you’ve become more secure in yourself. Hope all is well with you too davey” 

David Cornwell: “Is handing over a binder of team ‘allegations’ to the NCAA, so you can transfer without penalty trashing a program? Asking for a friend. I’ll leave it at that.” 

BB: “😂 I wonder if you fabricate stories this good about your playing time. Leave me alone dork lol.” 

DC: “Lol nope, I’m an injury riddled 5 star bust, but I’m ready to admit that, and I’m even willing to set you up real nice for retirement, shoot me a text 💰”

BB: “Business is boomin huh? Glad to see you’ve stepped up from selling fake Yeezys to teammates. Once again, have a good one, leave me alone.” 

DC: “These Yeezys? That you gave me the contact for? And told me they were real? Yeah my bad. #fraud” *Attached we’re Instagram posts of Blake Barnett in Yeezys. 

The Twitter feud pretty much ended there. Blake Barnett tweeted out “Seriously people I have no more intentions of going back and forth on twitter. I’ve retained relationships with former teammates and coaches for a reason. No desire to throw stones on social media.” But Cornwell wasn’t tagged in the tweet. 

I’d be shocked to find an Alabama fan who has anything nice to say about Blake Barnett. For those of you who don’t know, Barnett was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. 5 star recruit, Alabama’s highest ever QB recruit at the time, early enrollment and all. I remember calling for him to start as a freshman. Coker clearly turned out to be the right call.

The following year, Alabama opened up against USC and Blake got the nod to start as a redshirt freshman. It was that game that USC came literally crawling out of the tunnel like they had to be held back and got embarrassed 52-6. Alabama got off to a slow start that game with Barnett under center. His play got him benched for a true freshman. None other than Jalen Hurts, the rest was history. 

Blake blamed a lot of his transferring on criticism from Saban. He went to ASU the following year. He barely saw the field and transferred to his third school in three years, USF. Barnett had 12 TDs and 11 INTs in eleven games for the Bulls. Then he lost his starting job to Jordan McCloud his senior year. Sucks to suck. 

So am I a bit biased when it comes to this Twitter fight? Most likely. But I feel like it was a blood bath. Davey shoved Blake in a locker one last time. First of all, whining about your room being trashed by upperclassmen when you’re a freshman is just sad. It’s called hazing. Ever heard of it? The only clean jab Blake got in was calling him a dork. Not an easy thing to come back from. The whole Yeezys thing is whatever. Even if Cornwell was selling fake Yeezys, like, respect the hustle. But the killshot came from DC alleging Blake tattled to the NCAA upon transferring. 

If that’s true, I wouldn’t step foot in Alabama if I were Blake Barnett. Even though whatever he said obviously wasn’t true, I’m pretty sure it’s punishable by death in the great state of Alabama to snitch on Saban. 



No comments:

Post a Comment